Ali Ghomi, M.D., F.A.C.O.G.
Board-Certified Gynecologist and Urogynecologist in Buffalo, NY
Dr. Ghomi is currently the Chief of Robotic Surgery and Director of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at Sisters of Charity Hospital, Catholic Health, Buffalo, NY. He founded and was the director of AAGL/SRS Fellowship in Advanced Gynecologic Endoscopy at The Department of Gynecology-Obstetrics, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York.
Dr. Ghomi graduated from The George Washington University School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in 1999. He completed a post-graduate residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at University at Buffalo in 2003. He went on to complete a nationally-accredited fellowship (AAGL/SRS) in advanced laparoscopic surgery in Houston, TX. He received Board Certification in Obstetrics & Gynecology in 2004 and Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery (formerly known as Urogynecology) in 2013.
Prior to assuming his current position at Sisters Hospital, Dr. Ghomi served as Division Director of General Gynecology-Obstetrics, Department of Gynecology-Obstetrics, University at Buffalo, and Clinical Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology at both Buffalo General Hospital and Erie County Medical Center.
Dr. Ghomi specializes in minimally invasive surgery and urogynecology. Dr. Ghomi has been at the forefront of minimally invasive surgery and has pioneered a number of procedures in including total laparoscopic hysterectomy, laparoscopic pelvic reconstruction, laparoscopic cerclage and transobturator vaginal sling. He is the first surgeon in New York to perform robotic gynecologic surgery for benign indications including supracervical hysterectomy, myomectomy and sacrocolpopexy. Dr. Ghomi developed Robotic Surgical Programs at Sisters of Charity and St Joseph Hospitals in 2010 and 2013 respectively. He also developed Robotic Gynecologic Program at Mercy Hospital of Buffalo in 2009. Dr. Ghomi is among the first group of surgeons in the country who received board certification in pelvic surgery in 2013. Dr. Ghomi also specializes in robotic surgery for treatment of advanced endometriosis, pelvic pain and infertility.
- Dr. Ghomi performed the first Robotic Tubal Ligation Reversal in WNY in 2011.
- Dr. Ghomi performed the first Robotic Abdominal Cerclage in WNY in 2013.
- Dr. Ghomi performed the first Single-Site Robotic hysterectomy in WNY in 2014.
- Dr. Ghomi performed the first total pelvic mesh removal for trans-obturator (TOT) sling-related pain through extensive groin dissection in WNY in May, 2015.
- Dr. Ghomi performed the first robotic Essure coils removal in WNY in 2015. Thus far he has removed the Essure coils in a number of patients who showed immediate complete resolution of their pain after surgery.
Dr. Ghomi is a frequent speaker and presenter at national meetings. He continues to educate medical residents, fellows and train other surgeons in advanced minimally invasive surgical techniques and robotic surgery.